Thursday, July 21, 2011

Ground beef vs Ground turkey


My blog on ground beef 96/4 vs 80/20 got the most hits so I decided to compare ground turkey to beef. Ground turkey like beef comes in different fat content levels. Walmart sells a 99/1 ground turkey ( 99/1 or 96/4 refers to the meat vs fat content, 99% turkey 1% fat).

I prefer the taste of ground beef over the taste  and texture of the ground turkey but a friend of mine suggested mixing the two in a dish so I plan on trying that out soon. 

With the leanest beef I can find at Walmart being the 96/4, the 99/1 ground turkey is going to have less calories and fat. If you remember from my post on ground beef, 1g of fat is 9 calories and 1g of protein is 4 calories.


Here is the nutrition on the 99/1 ground turkey:
    View Image
  • Serving size              112g (4oz)
  • Calorie                      120
  • Calories from fat       15
  • Total fat                     1.5g
  • Saturated fat              0.5g
  • Cholesterol                65mg
  • Sodium                      60 mg
  • Total Carbohydrate    0g
  • Protein                       27g


It's really low in fat and has a lot of protein, good stuff.

96/4 ground beef nutritional facts:

  • Serving Size           112g (4oz)
  • Calories                  150
  • Calories from fat     40
  • Total fat                   4.5g
  • Saturated fat           1.5g
  • Cholesterol             60mg
  • Sodium                   65mg
  • Protein                    24g 


The calorie difference between the two is not really that big, 30 calories. I believe the two are close in price as well. I am going to the store tomorrow and will do some price checking and edit post to include price difference.

Benefits to eating beef are:

  • Beef is high in iron. 
  • Vitamin B12
  • Zinc for your immune system.
  • Protein which is good for muscle and bone building.
Benefits to eating turkey are:
  • Protein
  • B-complex vitamins- promotes healthy blood circulation and controls your cholesterol levels.
  • Vitamin B-6- protects against heart disease.
  • Selenium- supports immunity and protects your body against cell damage which can lead to cancer.
They both have benefits and both are good for you.

I have read that ground beef from cows that are grass-fed is better for you. The multiple pages I read say that the hormones and shots given to ward off sickness due to feeding cows a corn/grain diet is not good for your body. I don't know if this is true or not but I plan on looking into it farther before I decide if it is worth the change.

Watch out when you by any meat you need to look at the nutritional information on the package if it does not have it then it should have the meat/fat on the package. Turkey and beef both have a lot of calories and fat at the low grades,  just because it says turkey does not mean it is lean.

I believe if you buy the extra lean ground beef it has around the same calories as the turkey close in cholesterol and not to bad on fat ( your body does need some fat). It is all up to your personal taste and likes. I plan to try to mix it up using beef mostly and turkey here and there.













2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this good & excellent work. you should have to continue it forever.....Muscle Maximizer Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your sites really nice, keep it up!
    I'll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back later. Cheers
    My web page :: how to get rid of acne overnight

    ReplyDelete